Friday, May 6, 2011

hello cdot! - BerrySync

My first week at CDOT, Seneca's Center for Developing Open Technology is coming to a close and there have been some wicked developments.

The Atmosphere
I'm really enjoying working here as a summer student. The orientation was welcoming, bundling in breakfast and lunch. That day all of the summer researchers were gathered together and given the history of CDOT as well as their expectations for the summer.

Respective project heads gave brief speeches about what their teams would be working on this summer, my project in particular ill mention farther down.

Every morning teams meet up for scrums where you briefly talk about what you didn't yesterday and your goals for today. I'm really enjoying these, it helps everyone keep in touch with the cool projects going on here and it also allows people to offer advice before it even hits IRC.

Speaking of IRC, we are all expected to be there. The name of the game is, be involved. Your knowledge can help people and the knowledge of your community is at your figure tips.

My Project
Creatively named BerrySync the short description is that, we aim to develop a enterprise product roughly equivalent to Firefox Home for the iPhone, except for the BlackBerry.We aren't promising a copy of the feature set nor are we limiting ourselves to Home's feature set, Home is a guideline. Similarly were investigating the interaction of FireFox Sync for integration and perhaps in the near future customization.

So this first week, I've been setting up my environment and figuring out what I need research in depth. I just got my computer and my dual boot is installing as we speak. I'll post again with updates on my current task / demo / I'm a learner by doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment